Wednesday, October 31, 2007

slackware 12 - on macbook

I install VMware fusion to my mac book, thus I can install other OS to my macbook, I am choosing slackware 12, the installation of slackware is quite simple. But to install VMWare tool is a little tricky, I never make it work before, because I don't know what to do when I see the menu item change to "cancell vmtool installation" and it hangs there forever. Now I know is just mount /dev/cdrom to /mnt/cdrom to run the install package from 'virtual' cdrom.

And to make vmtool install successfull, I have to install pam first, here is the build script:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc
make
make install
ldconfig


also mkdir /etc/pam.d used by vmware tool,

cat << EOF > /etc/pam.d/vmware-authd
#%PAM-1.0
auth required /usr/local/lib/security/pam_unix.so shadow nullok
auth required /usr/local/lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account required /usr/local/lib/security/pam_unix.so
EOF


In case there are some problems, here is the way on use vmxnet driver


cp /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 /etc/init.d/network
cp /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 /etc/init.d/networking
/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl

/etc/init.d/network stop
rmmod pcnet32
rmmod vmxnet
modprobe vmxnet
/etc/init.d/network start


Now it is time to enjoy vmware-toolbox!