Thursday, August 20, 2009

ubuntu 8.04 - wireless network setup

I spent less than 9 hours to setup my wireless card on ubuntu. When use "lspci" command, I get the name of my wireless card, which is "AR2413 802.11bg".

Here is the brief.

1. disable the Atheros proprietary drivers from "system->adminstrator->hardware drivers"
2. unplug the wired ethernet line

3. extract ndiswrapper-1.55.tar.gz, and make & sudo make install

4. extract madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz, make & sudo make install

5. extract Wireless_Atheros.zip, use ndisgtk to install the net5211.inf
or
$ sudo ndiswrapper -a XXXX:YYYY ath0 (here XXXX:YYYY is get from lspci -n for Atheros card)

6. setup
add ndiswrapper at the end of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
add ath_pci at the end of /etc/modules

$ sudo iwconfig
$ sudo lshw -C network
$ iwlist scan (to find my wireless network)
$ sudo network-admin (which should setup wireless network)

check the following configuration at /etc/network/interfaces
=======================
iface ath0 inet dhcp
wireless-key XXXX
wireless-essid fade

auto ath0
=======================
Here XXXX is my wep password.
call "/etc/init.d/networking restart" to restart


I also installed wpa_supplicant but it does not seem to be needed.

After I reboot the OS, I found the system could not find ath0, so what I did is "sudo modprobe wlan_scan_sta" and reboot again, this time ath0 appears.